Diabetes mellitus is a disorder in the body that comes about when blood glucose levels are abnormally high because the body no longer releases insulin, nor utilizes in properly.
Generally, in healthy people, sugar concentrations in the blood (glucose) vary throughout the day, or increase after each meal. Normal levels are typically recovered after and hour and a half to two hours after eating. These normal glucose levels lay between 70 and 110 mg/dl (miligrams per deciliter) of blood in the morning, after a normal night of fasting. Two hours after eating foods, juices, liquids containing sugar, or other carbohydrates, levels should be below 120 to 140 mg/dL. It is also normal for glucose levels to raise slightly after the age of 50, especially in sedentary people.
Insulin and diabetes
Insulin is a hormone secreted by the pancreas, and is what is primarily responsible for maintaining proper blood sugar levels. It allows glucose to be transported to the interior of cells, so they my in turn produce, or store, energy. Diabetes appears when the body does not produce a sufficient amount of insulin to maintain blood sugar levels in normal balance, or when cells do not respond appropriately to insulin. In some types of diabetes, the body produces very little, or not insulin at all. Diabetes can be detected by means of an oral glucose tolerance test, or through a clinical exam.
Possible diabetes symptoms
- Increase in thirst and urination
Natural diabetes treatment
The primary objective of diabetes treatment is to maintain blood sugar levels as normal as possible.
- Exercise: Medication use would not be necessary is overweight patients exercised regularly. Exercise directly boosts decreased blood sugar concentrations and reduces necessary amounts of insulin.
- Diet: Avoid consuming foods that are sugar-sweetened, refined, packaged, and processed. This is very important for a diabetic’s diet.
Herbs for controlling diabetes
- Fenugreek: this plant’s seeds, when ground, increase glucose tolerance.
- Psyllium: one of the most effective herbs at controlling glucose and cholesterol levels. Advisable to consume 5 grams a day for 8 weeks, then assess results.
- Onion: a perfect friend for controlling diabetes. Proven to help reduce blood sugar levels.
Emotional causes of diabetes
In energetic medicine, diabetes has roots in emotional states that tend to be depressive, almost as if “sweetness” didn’t exist in life, and/or a residual sense of lament for things that could have been. Above anything else, it is recommendable to deepen what you feel, and to recognize and find solutions to these emotions, like a lack of love in one’s life. If you change your mental states, the disease will simply disappear from whence it came.