It has a penetrating, strong, and very characteristic aroma. It is a bush from the Lamiaceae family with fuzzy leaves about 10 cm in size, and 13 cm long. It has white flowers with a soft purple tint. This oil is obtained from young , dried, and fermented leaves before distillation. Just like a good wine, this oil improves and deepens its with time.
We have known of its aroma-therapeutic properties for quite some time. Fabric salesmen in India found its aroma to be a perfect combination for selling clothes, as one of the most beneficial and attractive properties of this perfume is that it is a sexual stimulant. It was later introduced to the European continent when, in the beginning of the last century,the English began to import Indian shawls perfumed with Patchouli.
Properties of patchouli oil
- Sexual stimulant (natural aphrodisiac)
- Cellular regeneration (rejuvenating)
- Repels insects
It can be used for health and emotions in the following cases:
- Skin fungus
- Athletes foot
- To fight acne
- To cure cuts or superficial skin wounds
- Helps heal mild burns
- Excellent equalizer for treating frigidity or impotence problems
- Helps in nervous crisis
- Helps express emotions
- Promotes security
- Helps those who suffer from Parkinson’s, in harmonizing, balancing, and reducing shaking.
- Inhaling its aroma awakens an interest for life, returning strength and physical vigor.
- Relieves pains caused by gout.
- Balances the nervous system, which promote attention and concentration
- Helps calm anxiety and aggressiveness.
Aesthetic use of patchouli
- Patchouli oil is used in a lot of preparations like creams, soaps and gel, for improving the skin’s general condition, and for its rejuvenating effects.
- Helps treat skin conditions like acne, blackheads, chapped or generally tired skin.
A bit of history about patchouli
Patchouli comes from Hindustani and has a long medicinal history in Malasia, China, India, and Japan. It is known as an effective remedy in those areas for insect and snake bites. In India, small bags of patchouli are used to perfume white clothes and to rid beds of insects.