Published: 06/28/2015 - Updated: 03/08/2020
Author: Dra. Loredana Lunadei, PhD
Do you want to lose weight? Do you love cream but don’t eat it because it’s harmful for health? Do you have stomach problems? Constipation or sickly skin?
Sour cream is the name given to the food created from raw milk cream, which is allowed to set and ferment for several days in a fresh environment. It is occasionally stirred to make it creamy. It tastes a little acidic, but it can be combined with an endless list of foods and dressings because it is a great substitute for cow’s milk.
Sour cream is a truly beneficial cream for health, unlike cream from cow’s milk, which is truly harmful. Not only does milk cream contain toxins that obstruct several bodily functions, along with the nervous system, but its fats only cause weight gain and skin problems.
Sour cream is considered to fall into a group of dairy products that are fermented foods, and which contain a very healthy does of probiotics.
Benefits of sour cream
- Cow’s milk creates a lot of health problems, like intolerance and problems with absorption. Sour cream does just the opposite. It can be consumed even by people that are lactose intolerant, or intolerant of cow’s milk because the probiotics it contains improve digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Sour cream helps activate important functions in the immune system. It helps people have greater defenses and prevents them from getting sick so often. It also helps prevent infectious diseases.
- The probiotics in sour cream help eliminate pathogens, toxins and harmful substances in the intestines. It empties and cleanses the stomach and intestines, helping to prevent and solve intestinal congestion.
- Skin problems are greatly related to poorly functioning intestines. That’s why whenever sour cream cleanses the stomach and intestines, it not only cures constipation, but it also helps cure skin because it releases a large amount of toxins that were circulating throughout the blood, and which then try to escape through the skin. If you have “bad” skin, avoid cow’s milk and cream. It’s better to eat sour cream and drink citrus juices before breakfast to strengthen sour cream’s effect on the skin.
- The bacteria present in sour cream metabolize sugar and transform it into lactate and acetate. If these are present in an environment high in bifidobacterium, it will create an acidic environment in the intestines, which will suppress abnormal fermentation caused by pathogenic microorganisms. This stimulates peristaltic movements of the intestines, and prevents constipation. This leads to good bowel movements.
Sour cream combines well in both sweet and salty dishes. In baking it can be used fairly well to substitute milk or cow’s cream.
How to make homemade sour cream
You will need:
- 2 liters of whole milk, preferably organic to avoid pesticides, hormones and harmful chemicals in conventional milks
- 1 cup fresh, organic sour cream with whey (don’t use dried whey because it won’t curdle)
Heat the milk in a pot and once it first starts to boil, remove from heat. Do not heat it any longer. Skim off the cream the forms, and allow it to set until it cools, and feels comfortable to the touch at room temperature. Make sure it is not too hot, because if it is, it won’t curdle and you will kill the lactobacillus. Then you’re ready to add the cup of sour cream, which should be at room temperature.
MORE IN THE JOY OF WELLNESSEating Quickly and the Consequences on Health
Cover the container and try to keep it at a temperature of 30 degrees C. Sour cream will take anywhere from 6 to 8 hours to form, sometimes taking up to 12 hours, depending on how good, or what quality of sour cream you used. Once ready, store in the fridge.
Sour cream can be used on whole grain bread, whole grain pasta, in soups, baking, on toast, etc. Always remember to drink at least 2 liters of water a day to strengthen sour cream’s effects in removing harmful substances from your body. Children will love this as a dressing for baked potatoes, fish tacos or quesadillas, or on top of soups. You could also add a special taste to thin herbs or minced garlic by adding a dollop of sour cream to them.
About the author