Published: 12/03/2014 - Updated: 12/31/2017
The knee is the largest joint in the body and one of the joints that receives the most pressure and demand throughout the entire body. Knees maintain body balance and are the supports for weight and complex twisting and stretching movements in the legs. They have 4 ligaments that make it stable. It is a central joint to inferior extremities and are formed by the union of 2 important bones, the femur (the upper bone) and the tibia (the lower bone). One small bone, called the patella, is what distinguishes the knee, and it acts as a pulley and joins with the femur. It is surrounded by a joint capsule and several ligaments that provide it with stability, and several muscles are inserted into the ends of it, which make leg movement possible.
For all of these previously mentioned facts, the knee is very susceptible to suffering from pain, and although a lot of knee pain is not severe and they are resolved with simple remedies, there are some cases in which deeper natural treatment must be sought.
Synovial fluid bathes the knee joint, and its purpose is to reduce friction between the surfaces in contact during knee movement, as well as fulfilling other functions, like cushioning, nourishment, and defense.
Causes of knee pain that are simply treated:
- Abrupt demand from some sort of movement
- Not warming up the body when getting ready to perform some sort of strong physical activity
- Lack of exercise
- Joint infection
- Kneeling for prolonged periods of time
Other, more complex, causes of knee pain:
- Baker’s cyst
- Loss or hemorrhage of synovial fluid
- Osteoarthritis, arthritis or osteoarthritis of the knee
- Patella dislocation
- Ligament tear
- Bone tumors (in very rare occasions)
General energetic cause of knee pain:
Inflexible attitudes or excessive pride lead to strong states of tension in the body that concentrate in the area of the knees and cause them to be rigid. They are then easily damaged. So when it is difficult for an individual to move forward or to make new changes in his/her life, the knee usually becomes tense.
Remedies for curing knee pain
General remedies for curing knees and preventing pain are:
- In your diet, include extra-virgin olive oil daily. One or two tablespoons before breakfast.
- Follow a cleansing diet for one or two days, eating just red, seeded grapes. Trying to chew the seed is an excellent knee cure. Start those days before breakfast by drinking two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and drink two liters of water a day. Follow the diet, and on the third day, take the olive oil before breakfast and include papaya for breakfast, along with steamed vegetables, rice, whole grains, etc., in your diet. Avoid cow’s milk, white breads and sugar, and fried or junk food.
- Swim or do some sort of gentle activity in which the knee can move without having to bear the body’s weight. Stretching and gentle massages are fantastic.
- You should work with the emotional cause, as this is important in order to not generate more body tension. For this, I recommend that you observe if you have prideful or constantly inflexible attitudes.
- You should keep an eye on your weight. If you are overweight, I recommend you following one of these diets.
- Avoid making brisk movements or carrying heavy objects.
In order to reduce pain, we recommend the following remedies:
To reduce inflammation and for cases of arthritis and osteoarthritis:
- Eat fresh ginger three times a day. Wash and disinfect the ginger well and eat it without peeling it. Take one bite in the morning, another at lunch, and another at dinner.
Massages and remedies for alleviating pain:
- Olive oil massage: extra-virgin olive oil is one of the best natural inflammation reducers, and it is also good for stimulating blood flow. You should apply a bit to your hand and gently massage your knee. Do not take a bath nor become cold after the massage. Keep the leg warm. You can gibe yourself this massage two or three times a day.
- Cabbage: excellent for reducing inflammation. Crush it very well and rub it or apply it on top of the knees. Place a warm towel, or a towel moistened in warm water, on the leg and let the cabbage properties take effect on top of your knee.
Herbs for calming knee pain:
- Devil’s claw
- Cat’s claw
Choose one or two infusions and drink two or three cups a day.
Another way of calming the pain is to place ice on your knees or keep your legs elevated to reduce tension that has accumulated in the area.