A hiatus hernia (also known as hiatal hernia) occurs when a part of the stomach protrudes into the thorax. The esophagus connects to the abdomen with the thorax, through a small hole or hiatus located in the diaphragm. When the hiatus is weakened, the stomach pushes through it and produces the symptoms described below. If the condition continues it could cause what is known as barrett’s esophagus.
Symptoms of Hiatal hernia:
- Thoracic pain and burning
- Flatulence or excessive gs
- Gastric heartburn
- Violent, prolonged and frequent contractions, like when vomiting or when you have a strong and chronic cough, or when making any sort of aggressive effort with the thorax without prior preparation.
- Poorly cared-for pregnancy
- Bad posture, like frequent slouching or constantly lifting heavy objects.
- Prolonged and frequent stress or anxiety.
- Flaccidity, either from age or obesity
There are two types of hernias. The most common is a sliding hernia, which happens when the gastroesophageal connection moves over top of the diaphragm along with a portion of the stomach. Another type of less frequent hernia is the paraesophageal hernia, which is when a part of the stomach becomes herniated through the diaphragmatic hernia even though there was no movement of the gastroesophageal connection. There is a third type of hernia as well, which is a combination of the two previous types.
Natural treatment for hiatal hernias
Natural treatment does exist for hernias.
- Reduce stress: this is one of the things you should keep most in mind, because stress blocks proper relaxation of the muscles in the thoracic region, and prevents healing. There are several relaxation techniques, like meditation or practicing yoga. You also need to avoid carrying heavy objects and physical exertion.
- A quality diet is basic, especially if you are overweight or flaccid. If that’s the case, we recommend following a cleansing diet for three days, whereby you eat only either grapes or pineapple for three days, combining this fruit consumption with two liters of pure water and two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil before breakfast. You may eat however much of that fruit that you like. After those days, we recommend slowly introducing foods into your diet, avoiding the following: refined flours and sugars, junk and fried food, red meat, packaged foods, and cow’s milk and its byproducts.
- Juices and foods to treat hernias: fresh vegetable juices like carrots with beets or aloe with some other vegetable, are fantastic for losing weight and keeping the body functioning properly. You should drink two liters of water each day or add one teaspoon of liquid chlorophyll to a glass of water. You should opt for vegetable milks like almond milk, and drink two cups of green tea a day with the juice of one lemon, unsweetened. You should start the day by drinking two tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil before breakfast. You should follow this diet until the hernia goes away. This diet will help greatly to reduce symptoms like reflux, pain, etc. Also, it prevents tumors and esophageal inflammation, or other greater complications.
- It’s also necessary that you exercise in order to strengthen muscles and prevent flaccidity. Yoga and tai chi are fantastic for this treatment, as well as swimming or light gymnastics.
- It’s important not to consume medications that over time, only worsen the weakened area and destroy stomach lining. It’s best to keep a healthy lifestyle and, if you get dizzy, you should also consider heart treatment.
- It’s also very important to avoid pressure, either from work, home, family, etc. The pressures of the Western world create intense body weariness, which weaken the body and make it sick. For this, it is necessary that you read about topics related to self-awareness.
- It’s also necessary to direct creative expression towards pleasurable outlets, avoiding jobs that only wear you down and that you don’t like. Although you might not believe it, all this creates tension or extra “weight” in the body, which the body reflects as symptoms that we know as illnesses.