What is Sugaring? In today’s age there are so many different hair removal techniques: wax, creams, strips, razors, photo epilation, tweezers, permanent hair removal, and so many more. Sugaring, however, is not very frequently talked about. It is an at-home technique used in the East, and some countries in Asia and Eastern Europe. In Egypt, this technique has been used since the time of the Pharaohs. Since then, this technique has been effective not only in removing hair, but also simultaneously acting as an exfoliator, leaving very smooth skin.
What’s involved in Sugaring?
This is a very simple technique, that requires nothing more than a simple process suitable for the job, whereby sugar (where it gets its name “sugaring” from), plays a very important role. This technique consists of making a paste with a few very simple and easily procured ingredients: water, sugar, and lemon. Keep in mind that this recipe can be modified, adding other ingredients according to who uses it and where they use it. However, never add chemical additives to it, even though there are commercial products that exist today for sugaring hair removal, used in beauty salons and spas.
Here’s the recipe for Sugaring:
- 1 cup of large grain sugar
- 1 lemon, or however many necessary for a decent amount of juice. You can add water in the lemon juice doesn’t cover the sugar.
- Place the sugar and lemon juice in a sauce pan. Use water if needed to cover the sugar. Mix well over low heat.
- Stir constantly until sugar is completely dissolved, and forms a smooth ball (from 112 to 115 degrees C)
- As soon as it reaches this temperature, remove the saucepan from heat. You can tell it has reached this temperature when, by placing a small amount of the mixture on a spoon and placing it in cold water, it should form a smooth ball when ready. It is important to remove the mixture from heat at just the right moment, because if not, your paste won’t work and you’ll have to begin anew.
- Allow the mixture to stand until it cools and forms a gelatinous paste, almost like a sticky rubber.
- Apply to the surface of the skin where you wish to remove hair.
Keep in mind that after removing the hair, wash your skin well, and apply some sort of cream or softening oil afterward.