Published: 11/14/2014 - Updated: 03/08/2020
Author: Dra. Loredana Lunadei, PhD
Among all the products that exist today to keep skin healthy, beautiful and fresh, we find green clay, one of the most accessible and effective alternatives for keeping skin in perfect conditions. This clay is formed by rock decomposition (erosion) from wind and contact and friction with water. The type of rock determines the tones and different colors of clay, like white, red, amber, or green; each one with its own properties.
Green clay is considered to be one of the most versatile regarding its use. It has a lot of properties that serve to care for and regenerate skin, and can also be used to treat skin conditions like acne, pimples, dilated pores, blackheads, etc. It can also be used for lesions, inflammation, and to treat other conditions like arthritis, etc.
Clay has been used since very ancient times and has spread and become recognized for its multiple and effective medicinal and aesthetic qualities. A few of green clay’s properties are:
- Rich in minerals and trace elements like silicon, aluminum, calcium, iron, magnesium, sodium and potassium, among others.
- It has purifying and antibacterial effects which are very useful for treating skin with acne, fungus, rashes, etc.
- Deeply cleanses and refines skin, removes dead cells and exfoliates while nourishing skin, which helps cellular regeneration and helps the skin looks splendid, soft, healthy, and young.
- Helps relax, which is why it is useful for massages.
- Provides elasticity and a sense of freshness and youth to the skin.
- Very effective for treating oily skin with pimples or acne because it has a purifying effect and helps balance oil levels in skin.
- Removes blackheads. To eliminate them, you should apply green clay in a mask two or three times a week at night, and try to keep your skin nice and clean. You should wash it every night and apply a honey or aloe cream daily to finish your cleansing.
- If used regularly as a full-body mask, it helps keep skin clean and healthy.
How to use green clay
It’s best to buy a bag of green clay in a health food store. There are a lot of brands and in some areas it is sold mixed with a bit of water, or as a paste for instant application. If you find a powdered mask, add a little to your hand while showering, moisten in a bit and gently rub your skin with it.
Apply a green clay mask once or twice a week, gently rubbing the skin on your face and vigorously rubbing the rest of your body. Rinse well. You don’t need to use soap or scrubs if you apply the green clay. Rinse well and then apply an aloe cream to moisturize your skin.
If you have pimples or acne, use it up to four times and don’ stop using it until you see results. If you first notice that you have more pimple or acne breakouts, don’t become disappointed because the clay is doing its jobs of cleaning. Continue with the treatment until you see the breakouts lesson or even disappear.
Green clay massage
You could give yourself a good green clay massage while you take a bath, by rubbing your body, massaging the clay all over your muscles. You could apply clay therapeutically in Spas or in a temazcal, whereby massage is combined with clay in a medicinal herb bath and a sauna bath. This is an excellent alternative for cleansing the body and helping in cases of arthritis and some other skin conditions.
Who can use green clay?
From children and youth, to adults. This turns out to be a very effective remedy for fighting acne in youth.
MORE IN THE JOY OF WELLNESSFlotation Therapy: a way to return to the Maternal Womb
In order to strengthen the masks’effects don’t forget to drink two liters of fresh water a day and eat foods rich in vitamin C, A, and E, rich natural antioxidants.
About the author