Dry and irritated skin is a common problem that both babies and children face, as well as youth and adults of both sexes. This type of skin is characterized by lacking moisture, and by looking rough and unpleasant, tired, and lifeless.
Other symptoms of this skin type are:
- Red coloring
- Open pores
What causes irritated and dry skin?
- A diet low in nutrients and produce, especially deficiencies in vitamin C, E, and A, as well as zinc and iron.
- Dry and/or cold environment
- Lack of moisture (drinking little water)
- Heating and dry air
- Stress and tension
- This could be a consequence of an illness, like dermatitis, acne, eczema, etc.
- Continuous use of irritating soaps
- Careless exposure to sun
- Chlorine in pools
- Very hot water while bathing
- Lack of exfoliation and vigorous nutrient circulation, like not sleeping well and/or smoking in excess
Natural remedies for making your skin moisturized and healthy
Without a doubt, the first thing to do is to pay attention to your diet, as this is the base of all beautiful, fresh, and healthy skin. Below is a list of the best foods for fighting irritated and dry skin:
Diet against dry skin:
- AVOCADO: include avocado in your diet. It is rich in vitamin E and has a lot of nutrients for you skin. It also stimulates the formation of collagen and is rich in vegetable fats. An avocado mask with olive oil is a very effective remedy for treating dry skin.
- PROBIOTICS: probiotic foods are excellent for the skin, as they act from the intestines. If you have health intestines, your skin will undoubtedly reflect it. Yogurt, kefir (Bulgarian) and fermented products are a few examples. If you go to buy these products, try to make sure that they don’t have a lot of added sugars, and that they are good quality. Some lose all their beneficial bacteria and dietary properties through their pasteurization process. Beyond eating them, you can rub them on your skin. A honey mask with plain yogurt, for example, is a true balm for dry or irritated skin. This is an excellent remedy if you have been exposed to the sun. Vigorously spread this mask over your skin and clean with mineral water before it dries.
- FRESH VEGETABLES: carrots, celery, alfalfa, and onion should not be absent from your daily diet. If you don’t have time to prepare salads, make juices by combing 3 vegetables a day. Do not forget carrots, because they are a favorite of beautiful skin. It really is worth it to give yourself a little bit of time to consume vegetables.
- OILY FOODS AND SEEDS: your skin needs certain oils and fats to prevent damage and irritation. Vegetable oils like olive oil (and the oil contained in olives), the oils contained in almonds, walnuts, peanuts, etc., should not be lacking in your diet. Sesame and sunflower or pumpkin seeds are rich in vitamin E.
Other tips for preventing your skin from drying out:
- Do not use too many toiletries. Wash your face and hands with a soft soap made of natural ingredients, and try to use the least amount possible.
- Avoid contact with chlorinated water. If you wash your face at night, do it with mineral water or rose water, and immediately apply an aloe cream for moisturizing.
- If you are going to be exposed to the sun, continuously rub sunblock on your face.
- A grape mask is perfect for fighting dry and irritated skin.
- Aloe vera is considered to be one of the best remedies for having healthy skin.
- Eat foods rich in antioxidants so as to stimulate your skin to regenerate with vitality. Goji berry juice, coffee, carrots, vegetables, soy, etc., are a few foods rich in antioxidants.
Sleep well, at least 8 hours a day, so that your skin can recover and regenerate. Avoid places contaminated with cigarette smoke or other irritating substances.
Phytotherapy and aromatherapy:
Some of the best herbs for fighting dry skin are: Aloe, chamomile, lavender, jasmine, or parsley.
Essential oils for preventing dry and irritated skin are: Neroli essential oil and chamomile essential oil.
If you have very dry skin and it is easily irritated, you should also take a look at your emotional world. The skin also frequently suffers from tensions and excessive worries. If you feel this is your situation, we recommend a yoga or Tai Chi class, to help you calm down and consciously direct your emotions.