Published: 08/15/2018 - Updated: 03/08/2020
Author: Dra. Loredana Lunadei, PhD
Eating a roasted potato, with a bit of salt and olive oil, it a truly nutritious food that does not contribute to weight gain. Potatoes are part of the tubers family, and originated in the Andes. There are several varieties of potatoes in the world today. In Peru, for example, more than 3,000 varieties have been discovered up to today.
Cooking with potatoes
In spite of its bad reputation for leading to weight gain, potatoes are the perfect food to accompany a variety of dishes. Those who have eliminated potatoes from their diet should really reconsider it, because in truth, potatoes do not lead to weight gain. It is the way in which we eat them that produces excess calories. For example, when we eat them fried, with butter, mayonnaise, or combined with some sort of flour. If you eat them grilled, however, or with some sort of vegetable side, they do not cause weight gain, and area also a rich source of energy.
Nutritional values of potatoes
Potassium 225 mg
Fiber 1.4 grams
MORE IN THE JOY OF WELLNESSA Gluten-Free Diet, Thanks.
Proteins 2 grams
Vitamin C 19.5 grams
Ascorbic acid 15 mg
Properties of the potatoes
- Contains abundant calories
- Contains nearly 80% water
- Its peel is a source of vitamin C
- Contains vitamins A, B (B2, B6, B11) H and K
- Contains lesser quantities of proteins, potassium, magnesium, zinc, phosphorous, iron, and antioxidants (phytochemicals) that slow cellular aging.
- Contains a bit of sodium
- Rich source of energy
Therapeutic and medicinal uses of the potato
- Prevents cancer when eaten with the peel
- Fights and alleviates headache. For this remedy, grate a potato, wrap it in a dishcloth, and place on the head. Relax, and allow this marvelous tuber to get to work!
- Useful for healing cuts or scrapes: cut a slice of potato and place on affected area.
- The peel, high in fiber, helps fight constipation and to keep proper intestinal functioning. Useful for treating hemorrhoids and as a natural laxative. For this remedy, blend a raw potato to prepare a juice and add 1/2 tsp. oh honey or molasses. Drink 2 tsp. of this juice every morning before breakfast.
- Provide starch and fiber, elements linked to digestion and preventing cholesterol problems.
- Used in diets for hypertensive patients (of course, without any salt), as it helps to lower blood pressure.
- Useful for treating kidney conditions, likekidney stones. To dissolve stones, it is advisable to wash a few potatoes very well. Boil them in 2 liters of water. When the potatoes are ready, store the water and drink this liquid before breakfast, or in small sips throughout the day. It is very useful for liver and kidney patients for its diuretic effects, because of its water content.
- Useful for treating arthritis or rheumatoid problems. For this remedy, drink potato peel broth one a day.
- For insect bites: slice a potato in two and place meat of potato on affected zone.
- Prostate inflammation: boil and peel a potato. Place the peel over prostate.
- Gastritis: drink raw potato juice with a bit of honey, four times a day, drinking first glass before breakfast.
About the author