Published: 07/25/2014 - Updated: 07/28/2014
Do you really like cows milk, and suffer from kidney stones? Before drinking another glass, this article may be of interest to you.
Kidney stones (medically known as renal lithiasis), are a problem that affects many people. The stones (calculus) are formed by a dietary imbalance high in minerals (primarily an excess of calcium and sodium), which, when the body can’t properly dispose of them, form crystal accumulations that grow larger with time, forming stones. There can be found as singular stones, groups of stones, or in both kidneys. Surgery is not always necessary, and frequently they can be “eliminated” naturally.
Symptoms of Kidney Stones
If you see small crystals in your urine, like sand, or you experience pain or nephritic cramps, it is very likely that you have stones or are prone to getting them. If this is you, I recommend following the advice listed here, which is also recommended to prevent them even if you don’t already have them.
1. Avoid consuming too much calcium. A lot of dairy products like milk and store bought yogurt come with additional calcium. If you drink too much milk or products with added minerals (excessive vitamin supplements), you could be raising your risk or size of kidney stones. A balanced consumption of calcium, for the average person, is 1,200 mg per day. Remember, calcium is also available in dark green vegetables, honey, amaranth, almonds, soy, etc. Cow’s milk is frequently very irritating to the stomach and intestines.
2. Avoid, when possible, animal meat and excessive salt or flavorings.
3. Drink 2 liters of fresh water a day. This helps prevent kidney stone growth, and will also help evacuate small stones that have already formed.
4. To eliminate stones naturally, each morning, drink 2 Tbsp. of olive oil before breakfast. If you already have stones and they are big, increase the oil dose.
5. Barley infusions are also very helpful. Take a handful of barley and boil it in one liter of water, for an hour. Cook until the large grains become spongy, adding more water as necessary. When you can squish the grains in your fingers, remove from heat. Drink glasses of this throughout the day. You can add a bit of lemon zest to it when it’s cold for better efficacy.
6. Do physical exercise to remove tensions. When you are under a lot of stress, or have a very sedentary lifestyle, you are at risk for kidney stones.