Published: 07/01/2015 - Updated: 03/08/2020
Author: Dra. Loredana Lunadei, PhD
Are you hot? Do you have stomach problems? Do you sweat often and feel dehydrated? Do you get sick frequently? Nature, in giving us gifts, has provided us with coconuts, not as a wonderful decoration for trees, but as an alternative in hot places to avoid dehydration, stomach infections which are so common in those climates, dehydration, and loss of essential vitamins and minerals. It also takes care of a long list of other medicinal effects.
Coconut is a fruit that looks rugged and hard, but inside it has a liquid, a medicinal water, that not only tastes great, but it has truly beneficial and nourishing properties for health.
Coconut’s health properties
- Rich in important minerals, like magnesium, calcium, phosphorous, etc. Drink it during hot weather helps keep the body minerals balanced.
- It has an important amount of vitamin E, which is one of the most powerful antioxidants around. It helps regenerate cells, tissues and systems, and prevents them from getting worn down from high temperatures.
- Contains vitamins C, B2 and B2, albeit to a lesser extent.
- Coconut oil is, after mother’s milk, the richest source of medium chain fatty acids, which raise the body’s metabolism, making it stronger. This is undoubtedly one of the best attributes that coconuts have, because it powerfully activates the body’s defense system, making it immune to several infections. It also cures other infections, and prevents fungal infections or yeast invasions. During hot weather, infections increase in percentage. It is important to eat a diet free of refined flour and sugar, avoid red meat whenever possible, along with cow’s milk. These will increase your risk of suffering from infections.
- Helps reduce and regulate high or harmful cholesterol. It balances blood sugar, which is why it is a perfect food for diabetics.
- It is easy to digest and easily absorbed.
- Coconut milk is considered to be wonderful even for very small children, because not only it is totally sterilized, but it also contains practically all the necessary nutrients for baby. In this case, the coconut milk should be extracted by a syringe, injected from the outside of the coconut, cleaned extremely well before entering the coconut. This will keep the milk sterile and it can then be given to children. Remember to always use a new syringe, and discard what you have used.
- It contains other diuretic properties, perfect for fighting fluid retention. During hot weather, the feet and some areas of the body swell because of fluid retention, but drinking coconut water will help liquids circulate optimally.
- It is high in fiber, which is why it prevents and resolves constipation issues easily. If the body is removing waste products properly, it will be less likely to become ill. The body will also be fresher and cleaner inside.
- It contains a large amount of vitamins and minerals which help the organs and systems to function properly.
- Prevents gastrointestinal disorders, which are usually common during hot weather.
- Regenerates intestinal flora, especially in individuals that have taken a lot of medication.
- Considered to be an isotonic beverage.
NOTE: drink one glass of fresh coconut water a day, and try to eat a diet based in fresh vegetables, prepare juices with fruits and vegetables and do not combine them with other fruits. Avoid sugar, because it will make you feel hotter because of the calories it contains.
Health properties of coconut meat, or pulp
Coconut meat contains oils that are also greatly beneficial, especially in cosmetics. These oils nourish the skin primarily, because they have softening properties, which is used as an ingredients in creams, bronzers, shampoos, soaps, oils, lipsticks, etc.
Coconut meat is rich in important minerals, like magnesium, calcium, and phosphorous. They help the skin, nails and teeth to be stronger and shinier. They also prevent skin marks, but you shouldn’t consume it too frequently because it does contain fats that are difficult for the liver to process. Coconut meat is not advisable for individuals that are overweight or that have cardiovascular problems, because it contains a lot of saturated fats.
About the author