Published: 08/15/2018 - Updated: 03/08/2020
Author: Dra. Loredana Lunadei, PhD
Tomatoes are some of the more nutritious vegetables around. They provide refreshing properties and are extremely versatile for cooking with. They are very therapeutic, and are used both for health and beauty.
We must point out that this vegetable plays a part in a lot of peoples’ diets. In Europe and America it is used in numerous dishes and is also known for its extremely healing abilities. It is said that there is no other known pharmacy that can cure as many things as the tomato. It is known as a cancer and heart attack preventative, as well as fighting several of the following diseases. These are some of the wonders of tomato:
Therapeutic properties and applications of the tomato
- Extremely diuretic
- Excellent for cleansing the bod
- Helps reduce cholesterol levels
- Prevents infections and greatly strengthens the immune system
- Eliminates uric acid
- Eases arthritic pain
- A rich source of potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium, as well as necessary minerals for normal nerve, brain, and muscular functioning.
- Reduces the risk of heart attack
- Provide important amounts of vitamins B1, B2, B5, E, and most importantly, vitamins C and A, beta-carotene or pro-vitamin A, which are necessary for vision, skin, and several other bodily functions.
- High levels of antioxidants, excellent partner in fighting cancer and for rejuvenating the skin.
- Antioxidants, abundantly present in red tomatoes, are groups of vitamins, minerals, and natural coloring that protect our body’s cells from harmful effects of free radicals. These are molecules that form in the human body by entering in contact with oxygen, or rather, when we breathe. Free radicals are somewhat responsible for aging, cardiovascular disease, and cancer development.
- Tomatoes provide the body with minerals and detoxifies.
- Tomatoes have very little fat, which is why they are frequently included in weight-loss dieting lists.
Tomato’s red pigment is due to licopene, a natural coloring that makes tomatoes red. Licopene is also found in other fruits and vegetables like peaches, watermelon, carrots, and apples.
Red tomato varieties
If you want to make a special dish with red tomatoes, don’t worry too much about they way it looks. There are several different types to chose from, and you can play around a bit with combinations in your dishes.
Varieties: Round, pear, cherry, on the vine, and Montserrat, as well as others. But for the most part, these varieties share the same nutritional value.
Natural tomato juice is excellent for health. There are thousands of recipes out there with tomatoes, but we’ll give you a delicious one here to start off with:
Red tomato juice and celery for cleansing the body
- 1 kilo tomatoes, fresh and ripe
- 3 celery stalks
- A few drops of lemon juice
- A pinch of sea salt and pepper
1. Run tomatoes and celery through a juicer, or blend in a blender.
MORE IN THE JOY OF WELLNESSLiver cysts: treatment and natural cure
2. Mix juice in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Serve cold
Remember that clean intestines prevent catching disease. This juice is very effective at keeping you healthy and young.
MORE IN THE JOY OF WELLNESSFood and tips to keep a Healthy Brain
About the author