Corn (whose scientific name is zea mays) was considered by the Incas to be a sacred food for its impressive content of nutrients and powerful properties. It is a gluten-free grain which can be used to create an infinite number of dishes, from tortillas to all sorts of breads, even soups, casseroles, desserts, and sweets.
Properties of Corn:
- Large amounts of easily digested carbohydrates.
- Has diuretic properties.
- High in fiber: favors digestion, intestinal movement, and reduces cholesterol.
- Contains beta-carotene, and antioxidant.
- Rich in B group vitamins (especially B1, B3, and B9).
- Rich in vitamin E (especially its oil).
- Provides quality vegetable proteins.
- Rich in potassium, iron, and phosphorus.
- Rich in essential oils.
Especially recommended for:
- Children, pregnant women, and athletes.
- People with Celiac’s disease that can’t eat other grains due to their gluten content: corn is gluten-free.
- People with a magnesium deficiency.
- To prevent allergies.
- Helps prevent cancer due to its large amount of antioxidants.
- Nourishes and strengthens the nervous system.
- Alleviate kidney problems (by using the silk in an infusion).
- Takes care of the circulatory system.
- Protects against cavities.
Corn is also known in Mexico as choclo or elote, and is a fundamental food in several american countries. Corn is used to make flours and oils, and its kernels can be used for a sorts of meals. The silk on the corncob is used to help clean the urinary tract, eliminates liquids, and fights swelling. The flour is used to make tortillas, and also in baking. Bellow you will find a recipe for corn flour tortillas:
- 1 c. corn flour
- 1/2 c. ice water (no ice)
- 1 tsp. flour
- Salt to taste
- A few drops of lemon juice.
1. Mix all ingredients, making a dough that can be well-worked. Once well mixed, make small balls the size of golf balls.
2. Cut a piece of plastic, or place pieces on each side of the ball. Make a fritter with a rolling pin. Then place the tortilla on a griddle or a skillet, without oil, and heat for a while on each side.