Dandruff really isn’t a serious condition, but it is annoying. There are a lot of things that can cause it, and it would be a good idea to read through so that you are well-informed, and so you can get rid of it.
- Stress or emotional tension
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Over-activity of oil producing glands
- Poor scalp hygiene
- Inappropriate or low-quality shampoos
- Exposure to severe cold
- Improper diet, high in sugars or carbohydrates, and low in fresh fruits or vegetables
- A fungus called Pityrosporum orbiculare that feeds on skin oils.
Symptoms of Dandruff
- Itchy scalp
- Redness on the scalp, and dull, unhealthy looking hair
- Silver-looking flakes that come off from the scalp, and that fall on the shoulders as a white powder
To fight dandruff you can use several natural remedies that are truly very effective: we could even say they’re infallible.
- Relax: a lot of the tension that we accumulate throughout the day is reflected in our hair, beginning with the scalp. If you feel very pressured, or under a lot of tension, it would be best for you to search for moments throughout the day to release this energy. You can take a walk or a Yoga or Tai-Chi class.
- Rest: you should sleep between 6 and 8 hours a day.
- Check that your diet fulfills your necessary minerals and vitamin requirements. Don’t forget to include brewer’s yest, seaweed, olive oil, linseed, whole grains, propolis, pollen, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid irritating products like white sugar.
- Herbs are excellent for this. Bellow, we will give you a list of number one herbs for treating dandruff.
GENERAL NOTE: to apply rinses, massage your scalp with your finger tips, previously wetting your fingertips in the herbal water.
Lemon rinse: an excellent remedy for eradicating dandruff. You should warm one cup of fresh water, and add the juice of half a lemon (or a full lemon, if it isn’t too juicy). Then, rinse scalp as described in the general note.
Eucalyptus oil: this oil is perfect for treating the fungus that causes dandruff. To benefit from it, you can make an infusion with the tree’s leaves and ten wash your hair with the water, after shampooing. Another way you could use this, is to apply a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil to your shampoo, and wash your hair normally.
Laurel or Rosemary rinse: rosemary or laurel also treat the dandruff fungus. You should crush one handful of either of these herbs and add it to one cup of boiling water. Let set for 15 minutes, then strain. Rinse your hair with this water after showering.
Apple cider vinegar: very effecting for treating dandruff, kills fungi and bacteria. You should mix equal parts vinegar and fresh water, and apply as indicated in the general note.
Tea tree oil: mix a few drops of this essential oil in 1 Tbsp. of olive oil and three drops of lemon. Apply as indicated to the scalp, and do not rinse. Let set the entire night.
If you follow these remedies, you will see that your dandruff will soon disappear from whence it came.