Published: 08/22/2018 - Updated: 03/08/2020
Goji berries are small, sweet fruit, about the size of a small grape, and bright red in color. They are generally sold dehydrated, and can be found in several different varieties. These berries contain large amounts of natural antioxidants, making them very recommended for health and beauty diets. This fruit grows on a bush that reaches approximately 4.5 meters in height, and grows in the Himalayan valleys (in Tibet), around 4,000 meters altitude.
Properties of Goji berries
These berries contain several nutritive properties and medicinal applications:
Properties and nutritional value:
- Large amounts of omegas (natural antioxidants), sterols, and polysaccharides which lower blood pressure and cholesterol (preventing them from oxydizing).
- Rich in vegetable proteins
- Rich in natural antioxidants, like carotenoids, zeaxanthin.
- High vitamin C, Selenium, and zinc content
- Possess large amount of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements (110 mg calcium, 1130 mg potassiu, 8 mg iron, chrome, nickel, copper, manganese, cobalt, phosphorus, and germanium)
- Rich in omega fatty acids 3 and omega-6
- Lots of natural fiber
- Contains 20% carbohydrates
Goji berry uses in health and beauty
- Decrease fatigue and increase energy levels
- Perfect fruit for athletes, or people recovering.
- Useful for protecting sight..
- Effective at treating skin conditions.
- Prevent cardiovascular disease.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Fights cholesterol.
- Strengthens and supports the immune system.
- Helps treat prostate problems, due to its beta-sitoserol contents, which is a vegetable sterol that helps reduce inflammation and can even improve benign prostate hyperplasia.
- Keeps good general health, since it can neutralize free radicals. Convenient in diets for cancer patients receiving chemo or radiology.
- Helps balance glucose or sugar levels, making insulin more effective in the body, making this recommendable for diabetics or people with metabolic syndrome.
- Can increase sexual desire, as Goji berries are believed to slightly regulate testosterone levels.
- Helps in weight loss, as it regulates glucose levels. This helps promote a sense of satiety within the body, and promotes more efficient fat burning in the body.
How to eat Goji berries
Goji berries can be eating just like any other fruit. You can add them to a smoothie, juice, cereal, or yogurt. They make a powerful antioxidant salad when combined with oranges and blueberries. They can also be used to make infusions, tea, fresh juices, and even sauces, dressing, and all sorts of desserts.