Published: 11/08/2014 - Updated: 01/02/2018
Author: MSc. Miriam Reyes
Pyelonephritis is a high intensity infection in the urinary tract that creates a blockage in the urinary tract, which blocks urine.
Causes of this condition could be pregnancy, abdominal masses, a careless diet low in quality foods, severe tension, cystitis, and one very common cause, known as urolithiasis.
Escherichia coli is responsible for 80% of pyelonephritis cases. This is a renal parenchymal infection caused as a secondary infection from a urinary tract infection, although it could also be caused by a kidney colinization through hematogenous tract from distant infection points.
Escherichia coli is the most common isolate bacteria in pyelonephriis cases, although certain microorganisms can be found, such as Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella spp, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Candida spp, along with other fungi.
Chronic pyelonephritis is a much more severe and acute urinary tract infection.
The following are symptoms of Pyelonephritis:
- General discomfort
- Lack of appetite and anorexia
- Elevated temperature to more than 39 degrees C (102 degrees F) that usually lasts longer than 2 days.
- Side or back pain, and sometimes abdominal pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pain during urination
- Cloudy urine with a strong odor
- Blood in urine
Natural treatment for Pyelonephritis
Natural antibiotics, as well as a detoxifying and supportive diet for the urinary tracts is the best remedy for treating pyelonephritis. Natural analgesics could also be very useful for fighting pain and discomfort.
On the other hand, life habits are indispensable for eradicating the infection.
The first thing you need to do for curing any infection is to cleanse the body of all toxic substances and unnecessary waste. In order to do this, the best thing to do it to start a cleansing diet. Youth and adults are recommended to follow a citrus diet for deeply cleansing the blood and intestines, and to thereby prevent infection proliferation. This diet consists of drinks one glass of green tea before breakfast, with the juice of one lemon, for three consecutive days. Do not eat anything until 20 minutes after drinking your tea, then eat peeled oranges (with the pulp and everything), and combine this with drinking two liters of fresh water. It is important to peel the orange, rather than drinking it juiced, because the pulp helps clean the intestines and sweep away viruses or bacteria that have become lodged in the intestines.
This diet should be followed for 2 or 3 days. After that, begin adding foods during breakfast, but start by eating around noon. That means that before breakfast, drink the lemon water and for breakfast eat the oranges. Then around noon eat something light, like half a vegetarian sandwich, following the favorable dietary recommendations, eliminating non-favorable foods (see table). At lunch, it’s best to eat vegetable soups, salads, steamed vegetables, and whole grain soups. You should avoid eating any sort of animal products for two months.
Recommended foods for Pyelonephritis
The foods you could include in your diet are as follows: raw vegetables, vegetable juices, fruits (without combining them with anything else. Eat them on their own and on an empty stomach), whole grains and cereals, legumes, seeds, vegetable milk and oils. All of these foods will help nourish your body and revitalize your immune system. This helps the body generate its own defenses. They will also keep your body toxin-free.
Unrecommended foods for Pyelonephritis:
It is important to make the strongest effort for eradicating animal products like cheese, milk, meat, eggs, etc. You should also exclude refined flours and sugars, junk or processed foods, as well as any fried foods. All this will only increase the amount of toxins in your body and it will make it more difficult to remove any infection. It is important that you follow this diet for at least 2 months, or until the infection goes away. This will clean the body very well of residual infections. Once the body has healed, it is important to try to avoid vow’s milk, which is truly harmful for the body.
Also avoid irritating products like alcohol, spicy food, and vinegars.
Natural antibiotics for Pyelonephritis
To help eradicate the infection, we recommend taking these remedies simultaneously with your diet:
- One clove of fresh garlic at any time throughout the day. Garlic and onions are excellent microbicides, disinfectants, toxin decongestants, and detoxifiers. Garlic is one of the best natural antibiotics, together with lemon and onion.
- One glass of carrot juice with alfalfa and parsley, each day.
- Linseed with fruit for breakfast.
- Probiotic foods.
- One echinacea tea or green tea, 20 minutes after eating.
- A salad for lunch, including fresh onion.
- Ginger ins salads or fruit smoothies.
- Drink 2 liters of fresh water a day, which is one of the best remedies for fighting infections.
- At breakfast, drink the juice from one fresh orange and don’t eat anything else for the next half hour.
- Drink at least 2 liters of water a day. Using liquid chlorophyll would be a great help at eliminating the infection. Just add one tablespoon of chlorophyll to your water or to orange juice. If you’re carrying your water around in a bottle, avoid exposing the chlorophyll to sunlight.
Phytotherapy against pyelonephritis
- Recommended to drink horse tail tea, or mouse-ear hawkweed or echinacea tea.
- Drink an Jamaican flower infusion, which is a potent diuretic and body detoxifier.
- To detoxify your body, parsley tea is wonderful.
- Natural kidney inflammation reducers are oregano, nettle, mallow, and horse tail, which are recommended for herbal teas.
- Papaya, strawberries, berries, and blueberries are recommendable for breakfast.
Other alternative treatments or natural remedies for Pyelonephritis
- Combine the previous remedies with treatment through acupuncture, magnetotherapy, bioenergy, or reiki.
- Exercise in a way that helps keep the kidneys and body strong and absorbing nutrients, as well as disposing unnecessary things.
- Avoid harmful habits like a sedentary life or smoking.
- Observe your state of tension and stress. If you are explosive or tend to get angry and are under heavy pressure frequently, the kidneys will suffer from it and your defense system will be weakened.
Pyelonephritis in children:
Regarding children, pyelonephritis is treated very similarly, avoid the 3 day fruit diet but try to remove all the aforementioned foods from their diet for one week. You must include foods rich in vitamin C in their diet, like juices, and prevent them from drinking sugar-sweetened drinks or canned juices, as well as junk food and processed food. You should remove cow’s milk from their diet and all its byproducts, because milk fosters germ cultivation and creates toxin and deterioration in the body.
You should stimulate the child to drink fresh water with liquid chlorophyll and do not offer them sweets nor refined pastries. It is important that the parent stay firm and does not give in the the child’s cravings. You should be firm, but not demanding, and try to find an appropriate way to discuss the diet with the child, explaining to them the effects of food in their body, and the consequences of junk food or harmful food.
You should also have good life habits, encouraging the child to participate in exercise activities.
You have to be patient with children and try to avoid medications as much as possible. It’s always better for the child’s body to develop its own defenses by means of dietary and lifestyle habits.
Remember that illnesses don’t really exist, just an intoxicated body whose waste products have accumulated in different areas of the body and lead to what is known as illness. If you maintain a healthy life and an emotional word of understanding and balance, your body will undoubtedly become very healthy.
Revised by: Dra. Loredana Lunadei on 01/02/2018
About the author