Lupus is an chronic autoimmune disease (that creates antibodies), whereby the immune system (the body’s defense mechanism)begins attacking healthy cells in any area of the body. The most affected areas are generally the heart, the joints (which is why it is also considered a rheumatic disease), the muscles, damages the skin, the blood vessels, and principal organs like the lungs, liver, kidneys, and body systems, like the nervous system.
There can be several diverse symptoms when dealing with an illnesses that affects various organs:
- Tiredness and exhaustion after small efforts.
- Unexplained weight loss.
- Prolonged fever.
- Joint and muscular symptoms like inflammation and/or pain in the joints (arthritis), typically in the hands, wrists, elbows, knees, and feet.
- Joint rigidity.
- Poor and damaged skin conditions. Spots can begin to appear.
- Redness and rashes on the cheeks
- Hair loss (advanced stages of Lupus)
- Hypersensitivity to ultraviolet rays
- If it affects the lungs or heart, they become inflamed, which could produce pericarditis and pleurisy (inflammation of the membrane surrounding the lungs). These conditions can cause thoracic pain and fever, and in some cases (when it attacks the heart), cardiorespiratory failure.
- If attacking the kidney, this produces inflammation (nephritis), which sometimes prevents the kidneys from properly eliminating bodily waste, which then accumulate in the blood. This inflammation prevents protein absorption and retention, which can cause swelling in the legs and the face.
- If attacking the heart, the entire nervous system will be affected. You could experience headaches, depression, anxiety, heightened fear, hyperactivity, anguish, etc. Frequently, these symptoms could be more related to the patient feeling attacked by the disease that could affect so many of the body’s organs, rather than as an actual symptom of the disease. This can cause osteoporosis, bursitis, ankylosing spondylitis, fibromyalgia, gout, lumbago, tendinitis, etc.
Causes of Lupus
The biological causes are yet unknown, however, it is believed that by being an autoimmune disease, it could be related to immune system health. The hypothesis are:
- Exposure to certain types of environments (overexposure to sunlight, as some patients present photo-sensitivity to ultraviolet rays).
- Deficient estrogen function (contraceptive pills are believed to accelerate the apparition of Lupus in women who are genetically predisposed).
Energetic medicine does believe, however, in one cause that could predispose someone to this conditions: disappointment, repressed anger, loosing hope, and not wanting “to defend oneself” (or punishing or demanding too much of yourself). This is the root, the emotional cause, of this condition. In energetic medicine, the body speaks about what you feel and think. The body is the clear reflections of our feelings: looking at our body’s symptoms is enough to deduce what takes place internally. Any illness can leave from whence it can, if we eradicate the causative emotion.
So it is my recommendation (from Laura Garces, original author of this article), to use self observation as the starting point for treating and eradicating this illness. It is likely that you feel too dissatisfied and disappointed in life. You are constantly feeling attacked by negative and depressing ideas and thoughts, demanding much of yourself. You send out the message that “it’s better to run, than to face what’s in front of me”. So you must start to reevaluate the way we think about life, and act in life. We should find reasons and thoughts that give us new perspectives on life, and dare to act out of new, more pleasant and enthusiastic convictions. Keep in mind that life is what we think it is.
Natural Lupus remedies
DIET: diet should never be underestimated, in any situation, because this is the very foundation of the healing process. Following the best diet possible, eliminating unnecessary things, like junk food, sugar, packaged meats, fried foods… This can remedy the tiredness and exhaustion experienced. Garlic, lemon, seaweed, extra virgin olive oil, broccoli, and sage juice are foods that should definitely be included in your diet.
CORTICOSTEROID INJECTIONS: considered to be a basic treatment, which could possible provide momentary relief. But keep in mind that neither corticoids, nor the strongest medicine available, can reach the individual’s emotional system, to help create harmony, enthusiasm, and pleasure to create health (author’s opinion). So by not resolving the basic problem, the body will only create more resistance, each time needing stronger remedies.
In order to eradicate the root to the disease (the emotional factors), you can find help in alternative therapies like reiki, reflexology, acupuncture, yoga, bioenergetic massages, and image therapy, along with other natural alternatives that treat the individual on a physical, mental, and spiritual level. These help produce general harmony within the body, creating health, as a result. Meditation, self-help books, and yoga, are also all excellent alternatives.