Published: 08/06/2014 - Updated: 10/28/2018
Cold sores, also known as fever blisters, are bothersome blisters that appear on the lips, or around the mouth. They progress through certain stages: a tingling sensation, a blister forms that is painful and burns, it drains, a scab forms, and then falls off. The blister forms because of a small virus that can remain latent, and reappear later on. The blisters can last from 2 to 15 days, depending on how they are cared for.
Symptoms of herpes cold sores
- Burning or itching on the lips
- It hurts to eat or move your lips
- Sensitivity or tingling around the lips
- A small white, red, or yellow blister
- If the infection is serious, it could produce a local fever
Natural remedies for herpes cold sores
Following, are the best way to treat and cure blisters in the mouth:
- Increase vitamin C consumption: this vitamin helps cleanse the body of unnecessary toxins that foster virus and germ incubation.
- Excellent natural remedies: avoid using creams or pharmaceutical medications. In their stead, apply drops of orange, tomato, or lemon juice to the blister. The white skin inside the orange peel is excellent at alleviating this discomfort. Apply this white “skin”to the blister and let it sit as long as possible. If it burns you, endure it for a while. These remedies, apart from being highly effective, help stimulate the body’s natural healing powers. Pharmaceutical remedies generally make the body lazy in healing itself.
- Ice: If they hurt a lot, or the infection is rather large, place ice either directly to the blister, or in a plastic bag.
- Black tea: Apply black tea infusion to the blister to calm the burning.
- Aloe vera: Aloe vera is a very effective remedy in eliminating blisters.
- Witch hazel: apply a bit of witch hazel on a cotton ball, several times a day. You can find it in natural foods stores.
- Castor oil: This is another great remedy for helping dry blisters.
- Keep the blisters as clean and dry as possible to speed up healing.
- Replace your toothbrush.
- Avoid consuming white sugar (soft drinks, chocolates, cakes, cookies, etc.). They help the virus to hang around.
Emotional causes of herpes cold sores
Herpes cold sores are associated with small bouts of anger and/or frustration that we can’t “say”. If you have a tendency to getting blisters, take a look at the things that are causing you irritation, and find creative and intelligent ways of expressing them. We recommend you read, or participate in activities that promote emotional understanding, along with things that help positively direct your emotional energy.
- MedlinePlus. United States National Library of Medicine. 2018. Herpes oral.
- Opstelten W, Neven AK, Eekhof J. Treatment and prevention of herpes labialis. Canadian Family Physician. 2008;54(12):1683-1687.
- Worrall G. Herpes labialis. BMJ Clinical Evidence. 2009;2009:1704.